Grimspace (Sirantha Jax Series #1)

Grimspace - Ann Aguirre I have a feeling Grimspace deserved more stars than I gave it but I don't read sci-fi, I watch it so this was a completely new experience for me. It took me a while to grasp the jargon which reminded me of Star Trek and also the style of writing which dumps us inside Sirantha's mind, experiencing her every thought and emotion. At times this is completely disorientating, Sirantha's suffered an enormous amount of trauma, both physically and mentally but she handles it with extraordinary strength and macabre humour, only the occasional psychological breakdown hamper her progress as she deals with her past and present but she learns from each and every one. In many cases, it's March that keeps Sirantha alive and kicking. His telepathy keeps him informed of her paranoid and suicidal thoughts so he can interrupt them but he can also provide hilarious commentary on her less fatalistic ones too. The relationship between them is a reluctant one but their need for each other is obvious. In general, the crew reminded me of Joss Whedon's TV show Firefly and it's more popular incarnation, the movie Serenity with the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants good-natured space pirates. However the Reavers bore a resemblance to the Teras in the book, striking fear in the hearts of those they come in contact with...before eating them.A lot of bad shit happens in this book and you can't blame Sirantha for thinking it's her, that she's "bad luck, bad ju-ju". She attracts trouble like it's going out of style. Many people die around her and as they fall a little piece of Sirantha dies too. It's a heavy load to carry and it's difficult to read without feeling depressed, the ending was the only thing that saved it from being a completely "hopeless" book. A very dark and gritty read, which I'd recommend to those who think they're strong enough to handle it.