Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) - Charlaine Harris It was all a dream! Sookie wakes up in a sweat freaking out only to realise it was all just a harmless nightmare. Her life isn't a supernatural mess, she's settled down with her man and is happily living in domestic bliss. The curtain comes down on the book.That didn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it does, as a series closer that is. There was so much WTFery in Dead Reckoning it's hard to know where to start. My feelings shifted through indifference, exasperation, WTH and the occasional chuckle. Changing agendas and personalities of the characters over the last few books has left me lukewarm. Sookie is no longer someone I sympathise with. My exasperation came into play with what I perceive to be Sookie's drawn out break up with Eric. It's been on the cards for a while and many fans have predicted such a thing. Sookie thinking of her future and the impossibility of children with her current beau, his love of violence and her hatred of it plus his level of understanding of her feelings plummeting when the bond is severed has her reconsidering her options. It seemed like Harris was throwing men at Sookie left, right and centre, offering them up as alternatives. Alcide's weird Little Red Riding Hood move was both completely out of character and unexpected. Alcide has always been a gentleman and gentlemen simply do not take off their clothes and slip into a girl's bed without her knowledge or permission when little more than polite words have passed between them in recent times -WTF? Creepy as hell. Claude eyeing Sookie's close friendship with Sam, her desperate run, whilst completely starkers, into dead-to-the-world Bill's arms to hide from kidnappers -did she have to be naked? Did we have to be reminded of his love her and his willingness to get back together? Even her fae family were being offered up as possible love interests? Erm, incest anyone? I know Sookie's Christian beliefs have had to stretch to accommodate her increasingly dangerous lifestyle but incest is probably pushing it.The storyline was partly one that wouldn't die. The death of Debbie Pelt which if I remember correctly was in book 4. This is #14. Debbie's sister Sandra who's one-track mind is hell bent on Sookie's death -again, by any means necessary. The other part is how-to-get-rid-of-Victor. Digging up old storylines and rehashing them isn't something I'm interested in, while the Victor-problem was much the same; someone seeks to control Sookie and friends and they must be eliminated, only the character to be disposed of has changed. The introduction of a certain fae object is discomforting and leads me to believe what I've said in my opening paragraph is entirely possible. I really don't want to know what Sookie will use it for, whether it be a selfish purpose or an altruistic one. Claude, Dermot and the fae from Hooligans sparked my interest. I wished we could've seen more them and their plans. Dermot was sweet and I enjoyed his renewed vigor and sense of purpose.I'm not so secretly hoping for a Hamlet ending -one in which everyone dies, including Sookie herself. I think that's the only way to both shock readers who've predicted Sookie's final situation and ensure the series isn't somehow extended beyond an all ready long overdue point. I'm ready for Sookie stories to go the way of the dodo.