A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)

A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1) - Allison Pang Not quite what I expected. I loved Phineas the pervy unicorn -he was a hoot. I was intrigued by the idea of TouchStones -humans used as anchors in this world for those of the Light and Dark Paths, and humans trapped in paintings but I found the book's mythology confusing what with all the doorways and crossroads, etc. There wasn't much in the way of explanation. And there were moments when I was tempted to put it down but I knew if I did I'd never pick it back up again. It lacked a certain something, depth perhaps. I don't know. But it wasn't an engaging, all-consuming read.It was also difficult to get a handle on the relationship between Abby and the incubus which was originally based on pure lust and sexual tension which grew to something more, to the point where they trusted each other with their deepest, darkest secrets and their very lives. All in just a few short days. Very PNR. And yet Abby jokes about the language used in such books, "my lady softness" and "turgid magnificence".However, I hated the reference to the Buffy & Angel situation at the end because I didn't believe it was comparable. B & A had no way to overcome their problems but it seemed very apparent that this couple did. Other than her wish at the end of her contract, Abby's world had just opened up to other magical possibilities with her highly sought after KeyStone abilities and the contracts/trades she can now make. Them giving up on their relationship so soon disappointed me and I subsequently lost respect for both characters. Nothing in life is easy and they just gave up without trying. Pussies.I know that what they had could be classed as "just" a short fling but it was intense enough that they'd become very important to each other. It seemed everything was pointing to a HEA then did a u-turn which didn't feel right and made little sense to me. I must point out here that I don't mind HFNs or even sad endings when done properly, I just feel this was dealt with badly. Or perhaps I've misinterpreted the situation.I only decided to buy this book after I read this hilarious Day in the Life of Phin the [pervy] Unicorn and this deleted scene.Reading the excerpt from the sequel still hasn't made up my mind as to whether I want to read it. At this point, Phineus and the baby are the only characters I'm interested in but I'm not sure that's enough for me to continue with Abby's story. 2.5 stars.