Hounded - Kevin Hearne I jinxed myself. I read the first 5 pages and thought I might actually like it after procrastinating over the decision of: to read, or not to read? I blame myself for settling on the former, as many have compared it to Jim Butcher's writing. Me and that dude do not get on. We are chalk and cheese. The humour is unfunny; it's forced. The info-dump is off-putting; too much, too fast. Dialogue-overload. Not enough description.Atticus claims to be 2,100 or just 21 to humans. He lies to everyone but the humans. He ain't two thousand years old. There's no way. He brags about the famous historical events he's witnessed, the powerful and dangerous gods he knows, and thinks his physical prowess is that of a ninja. He sounds like an immature boy. Show me you've lived longer than most, don't just tell me. He also feels too modern and "down with the kids". These gods care enough to warn Atticus of an impending threat on his life but he doesn't take them seriously. Even after he is attacked. I don't understand why they care if he never listens to them.One of said gods has promised not to let Atticus die. So if he's in terrible agony from multiple wounds, he won't die. That's awful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and this woman is supposed to be an ally. Some ally. No thanks. I wasn't impressed with the gods we met in the beginning. Not much intelligence or wisdom to be found in them. They were only concerned with petty grievances and vengeance. The norm for gods generally, though some semblance of substance or the ability to champion a worthwhile cause would've been nice, anything to show some depth of character to engender interest from me as the reader.I hear Oberon is a hoot and an adorable sidekick. Well, I met him but he doesn't seem terribly dog-like. I've never given up after so few pages read before, but I can't force myself to read any more. Not for me.36/292 pages read.