Networking for People Who Hate Networking - Devora Zack ‘There is no such thing as failure, only feedback.’Okay, so here’s my feedback.The tips are useful, I can't deny that. Prepare beforehand, focus on a small number of people, ask open-ended questions, leave when you become tired, treat people the way they want to treated, tip staff, remember names, take notes on all interactions afterwards, and follow-up within a couple of days with a thoughtful email. That’s the basics.The title doesn’t reflect the entire book. A more accurate title would be ‘Introverts vs. Extroverts: How to deal with all types of people’. The author is a ‘confident introvert’ and so the focus is on identifying and understanding introverts. The book starts off by drawing up the pros and cons of being in either camp and those that fall in the middle of the scale, centroverts. A self-assessment is included to identify which camp the reader is in however, I don’t believe it’s a very accurate. It seems to be skewed towards identifying introverts as centroverts. If you're an introvert but haven't really thought about it much before, then you'll probably be really happy when your introverted attributes have been validated here, and might find yourself saying, "That's me!" The author really tries to wipe away the negativity associated with being an introvert and I have to applaud her for her efforts. Zack argues introverts are often misunderstood and should be valued for their positive characteristics because we as society wouldn't be able to function without them, especially as it's supposedly split 50/50 extroverts and introverts.Much later we finally get to the tips on business networking functions (with a small section on job searching), which in itself is a very narrow subject area considering the author states ‘Life is one giant networking opportunity’ although you can extrapolate some of the tips for other social situations.‘The case of the rambling introvert’ –that’s the entire book, most notably the second half. Lots of rambling. This could be condensed into either a shorter book (by a third, at least) or a long but concise article/essay. All of the real-world examples given weren’t necessary. Some I skipped completely because I all ready had the gist of what was being said. On the other hand, sometimes it was unclear and I wished the author was more direct and forthcoming.I'm glad I got this at a substantially reduced price at £1.39. I wouldn't be happy if I'd bought it at today's price of over £7. I'm hoping Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking will be, overall, a more rewarding read.*Bought in the 12 Days of Kindle sale of Xmas 2011.