A Christmas Carol - Arthur Rackham, Charles Dickens I actually read most of this fable whilst simultaneously watching the 1999 film adaptation with Patrick Stewart (Star Trek: Next Generation, X-Men). I didn't realise until I read this that some of the humorous bits had passed me by in the adaptations and found myself laughing at Scrooge's very uncharitable and gloomy nature, and later the reactions to his death. My absolute favourite character was Scrooge's nephew and his persistent attempts to befriend his uncle, always offering an invitation to Christmas dinner every year. I loved his perceptiveness in observing and understanding Scrooge's behaviour (and taking it without offence). It was spot on.Scrooge: "What right have you to be merry? What reason have you to merry? You're poor enough."Nephew: "What right have you to be dismal? What reason have you to be morose? You're rich enough."Scrooge: "Bah! Humbug!"However, the narrative was very wordy so I did resort to skimming quite a bit of the descriptions to get to the good stuff i.e. the dialogue.It was a good seasonal read to get me in to the spirit of Christmas. 'And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God bless Us, Every One!'