Disenchantment & Bitterness

So I haven’t blogged for a while. This is partly because catching up from my hectic November has been more challenging than I thought, if only I could press a ‘pause’ button on the world…

Another reason is my recent bitterness on Goodreads; jumping to conclusions on a simple issue, one that had I been less supremely cynical, I would’ve been able to solve on my own. My embarrassment at my own behaviour there prompted an on-off avoidance of the internet in order to gain some distance and perspective.

Since then I attempted a short-lived experiment with Libib, rediscovered my dusty (free) Librarything account, and I’m trying to decide between Readerware and Book Collectorz. In the New Year (read: when I have more money), I’ll probably be purchasing a Lifetime membership with Librarything, despite it’s awfully dated looks, and buy the Book Collectorz software.

However, I’ve been invited to try a shiny new website born of the ashes of Goodreads, founded and developed by its (former) members. I’ve joined and have been pleasantly surprised at how much better it appears than Libib (well, it is supposed to be GR-like but without the censorship) and yet I’m only the 21st member. As it’s “just out of beta and in the very early stages”, to quote the email I received, I won’t detail it further until I know I have permission to spread the word.

P.S. My cynical self is looking at the burst of optimism in my last paragraph and frowning. Sigh.